Wines of Odessa
Two and a half thousand years ago ancient Greeks presented the wine to Ukraine. Two hundred years ago with the assistance of French, Germans, Swiss, Moldovans, Bulgarians viticulture won spaces of Northern Black Sea secondary – and now Odessa is considered one of the capitals of Ukrainian winemaking.
|Day 1||Ukrainian National Research Institute of Viticulture and Winemaking named after V.E. Tairov: excursion and wine tasting. French Boulevard: walking excursion from Shevchenko park to Arkadia with visit to wine store «French Boulevard». Night in Odessa.|
|Day 2||Factory «Winetrest» (Wines of Gulievs): excursion in the vineyards and wine tasting. Velikodolinskoye: wine brand “Gross Libental”. Shabo Wine Cultural Center: excursion and wine tasting. Night in Odessa.|
|Day 3||Odessa Factory of sparkling wines – excursion with sparkling wine tasting. Cognac Museum of Shustov: excursion in the museum and cognac tasting.|
1. Institute of Viticulture and Winemaking named after V.E. Tairov. Ukrainian National Scientific-Research Institute of Viticulture and Winemaking named after V.E. Tairov was founded in 1905 and is located at 10 km from Odessa. Generous southern sun, fertile black soil, a unique combination of sea breeze, liman waters and clean sources made it possible after many years of work of selection scientists to grow more than a hundred new varieties of grapes and develop based on them 17 brands of wines. At the beginning of our excursion you can learn about the history of the unique institute. Then, the underground gallery – a narrow path in a stone tunnel stylized as catacombs – the route goes to the elegant rotunda on the bank of liman, overlooking terrace planted with vines. Then descend to the underground storage. Tightened, with almost fossilized cobwebs, bottles, barrels along the walls – a collection of Institute’s wines… After watching the collection – tasting of vintage wines.
4. Shabo Wine Cultural Center. Famous Shabo vineyards is located at 70 km from Odessa. The sea surface of the Black Sea and waters of the Dniester liman harmoniously neighbor here. In 1822 Swiss from the banks of Lake Geneva moved here and organized wine industry. It is one of the largest wineries in Ukraine now. During the excursion you can get into a huge dungeon – Royal (Romanian king was here) and Sherry cellars (here in oak barrels “matures” unique wine – dry sherry), and the storage located at a depth of nine meters underground. Pride of the factory: Brandy yard with oak barrels for aging noble cognac; Champagne house to produce high-quality sparkling wine by the classical method; Department of cold wine bottling, as well as newly created Museum maze and Cinema, where you can see a fascinating story of Shabo settlement and its founder Louis Tardane. During wine tasting visitors get acquainted with six types of wine, a variety of dry white sparkling wine and five-years aging brandy. Right here is the company store where you can buy products of TM “Shabo”.
5. Odessa Factory of sparkling wines. In district called Small Fountain, near the coast, is located an old company, which is almost 150 years old producing sparkling wine. After the excursion follows a logical continuation of the tasting, during which visitors can themselves assess the quality of three types of sparkling wine.
6. “Gross Libental” – love valley. On the way to Shabo, halfway from Odessa, there is an ancient village Velikodolinskoe, which originally was called Gross Libental – translated from the German as Grand Love Valley. The founders of the village arrived here from southern Germany in the early 19th century. Viticulture traditions of their homeland dated back to Roman times – they brought them along on the Black Sea coast. Huge cellars of German colonists with oak barrels are still preserved – during tasting wine is bottled directly from them.
In addition to the permanent exhibition, museum has a hall for exhibitions, concerts and other cultural events, cinema and, of course, tasting room.
Map of sites
1 Institute of Viticulture and Winemaking named after V.E. Tairov
2. French Boulevard
3. Factory «Winetrest» (Wines of Gulievs)
4. Shabo Wine Cultural Center
5. Odessa Factory of sparkling wines
6. “Gross Libental” – love valley
7. Cognac Museum of Shustov