Odessa and Bessarabia cuisine
Taste of Odessa…It is diverse and every time beckons with opportunity to reveal something new, unknown and unusual. Historically, more than 130 nationalities live in the city. Each of them, of course, has made its invaluable contribution to all spheres of life, and over one of them – Odessa cuisine – we are ready to lift the veil of mystery and to tell you about several of the most delicious dishes.
1. Odessa cuisine. Odessa kitchen is piquant and colorful. It has its own peculiarity and spice! Having assimilated the best culinary traditions of the representatives of people from different countries all over the world, Odessa cuisine represents colorful mixture of indigenous cultures and tastes. Fragrant like Greek, spicy like Bulgarian, gourmet like French and hearty like Italian, dishes of Odessa cuisine are small culinary masterpieces, delights of the table and pride of each Odessa family!
ADDRESSES: Restaurant «KlaraBara» (28, Preobrazhenskaya Str., City Garden), restaurant «Franzol» (City Garden), restaurant «Kompot» (20, Deribasovskaya Str.), Restaurant «Dacha» (85, Frantsuzsky blvrd), restaurant «Pecheskago» (10, Gavannaya Str.), café network «Zakroma», restaurant «Gogol-Mogol» (2, Nekrasova LN), restaurant «Sol’» (27,Bunina Str), restaurant «Maman» (18, Lanzheronovskaya Str)
__$$$ average bill (220 UAH): «KlaraBara», «Pecheskago»,«Franzol»
__$$ average bill (200 UAH): «Dacha», «Zakroma», «Sol’», «Maman»;
__$ average bill (190 UAH): «Kompot», «Gogol-Mogol».
2. Ukrainian cuisine.The most famous dish of Ukrainian cuisine has been and always will be the borsch! Having kept the overall integrity, Ukrainian cuisine is not certainly devoid of significant regional differences. Perhaps, there is a beauty of all national cuisines, when the same dishes are prepared in each locality, in each region with the use of specific technology and has its own special and unique taste.
THE LEGEND: History of the Ukrainian cuisine is very interesting and unusual. In the middle ages the territory of the present-day Ukraine was subjected to constant robber raids of nomads from Asia and the Middle East. In its turn, it has impacted on the character set of traditional Ukrainian dishes. Nomads stole all the cattle from the occupied lands, but left pigs that Muslims and Jews considered to be “unclean” animals. This fact saved many Ukrainians during the hard years. Therefore Ukrainians’ love for fat has historical justification. In some cities of Ukraine even monuments of pigs are erected! “To eternal wet-nurse of Ukrainian people” – the inscription on one of them says.
ADDRESSES: Restaurant «Kumanets» (7, Havannaya Str,), restaurant «Ukrainskaya Lasunka» (17, Deribasovskaya Str.), restaurant «Khutorok» (1-a, Lanzheron Beach), café “Puzata Khata” (21, Deribasovskay Str)
__$$$ average bill (300 UAH): « Ukrainskaya Lasunka », « Kumanets »,
__$$ average bill (200 UAH): « Khutorok »
__$ average bill (150 UAH): « Puzata Khata »
3. Moldavian cuisine. Among a variety of national dishes there are recipes similar to those that occur in Turkish, Greek, Russian and Ukrainian cuisines. Lamb is more preferable for cook of meat dishes but pork or beef is also quite common. Characteristic features of Moldavian cuisine are spicy taste, very attractive presentation of the prepared dishes and great tastes. Moldavian cuisine is famous for abundance of vegetables.
ADDRESSES: Restaurant «Apsheron» (20/3, Fontanskaya doroga Str.), restaurant «Ricco» (84, Balkovskaya Str.)
__$$$ average bill (200 UAH): «Apsheron»
__$$ average bill (170 UAH): «Ricco»
4. Romanian cuisine. Romanian cuisine is original enough. Evolving over the centuries under the influence of their traditions, as well as having absorbed the culinary traditions of neighboring European, Slavic and Ugric peoples, it has gained a reputation of simple and very hearty. The basis of the cuisine is based on vegetables and corn. Vegetable dishes are in abundance. National dishes – dozens of traditional thick soup that is usually acidified with kvass, brine, yogurt or other dairy products. Meat is widely used in all kinds and in all possible combinations with the other ingredients.
Restaurant «Bessarabka» (53, Kanatnaya Str.) – average bill (250 UAH)
5. Bulgarian cuisine. Bulgarian cuisine is based on wide use of vegetables, herbs and fruit. The cuisine is rich with recipes of salads, hot and cold soups. Cooking feature is thermal processing of products on weak heat within an hour, the products are mainly prepared simultaneously, as a part of one dish. Basis of many of the Bulgarian dishes are cheeses, such as soft sheep cheese and yellow cheese (kashkaval). Cheeses are the ingredients of many salads and baked puddings.
ADDRESSES: Restaurant «Mekhana» (1, Starobazarny skver), restaurant «Bessarabka» (53, Kanatnaya Str.), restaurant «Ricco» (84, Balkovskaya Str.) restaurant «Chetyre bolgaryna» (56, Ekateriniskaya Str.), pub «Besterpub» (7-б, Varnenskaya Str.)
__$$$ average bill (250 UAH): «Bessarabka», «Chetyre bolgaryna»;
__$$ average bill (200 UAH): « Mekhana »;
__$ average bill (170 UAH): «Ricco», «Besterpub».
6. Russian cuisine. Dishes and flavoring accents of Russian cuisine change depending on a geographical position. Russian cuisine incorporated elements of the French one, and also dishes of the countries of the former USSR and various people living in Russia. Distinctive feature of dishes of the Russian country cuisine – practically doesn’t meet such method as frying. As a rule, the food is cooked in the furnace; therefore, boiling and stewing are very widely used. Also it is typical for Russian cuisine to preserve vegetables and fruit using salting.
ADDRESSES: Restaurant «Blef» (85, Frantsuzsky blvrd), restaurant «Elki-palki» (57, Zabolotnogo Str.), restaurant «Assol’» (5, Arcadia beach), restaurant «Virazhevsky» (30, Zhukovskogo Str.)
__$$$ average bill (250 UAH): «Virazhevsky»;
__$$ average bill (200 UAH): « Blef », «Assol’»;
__$ average bill (150 UAH): « Elki-palki ».
7. Jewish cuisine. The formation of the Jewish cuisine was heavily influenced by religious customs and determined food prohibitions and restrictions (kashrut), as well as a settlement of Jews worldwide. Religious precepts of Judaism prohibit eating pork, hare, seafood, as well as some species of birds and fish. It is strictly forbidden to eat insects, amphibians and reptiles. The laws of kashrut share all foods of animal origin for meat and dairy, mixed use of which is prohibited. The Jewish cuisine contains dishes of Ashkenazi and Sephardi culinary traditions. And yet Israeli cuisine includes many oriental dishes.
ADDRESSES: Restaurant «Khevron» (30, Rishel’evskaya Str.), café «Netania» (23, Rishel’evskaya Str. ), restaurant «Rozmarin» (46а, Malaya Arnautskaya Str.), restaurant «Paradnaya №1» (1, Sobornaya Sq.)
__$$$ average bill (250 UAH): « Paradnaya №1»;
__$$ average bill (150 UAH): « Khevron », « Rozmarin »;
__$ average bill (130 UAH): « Netania »;
8. Gagauz cuisine. The Gagauz cuisine contains dishes from the European and Moldavian cuisine. Many ingredients are taken from Turkish cuisine. The most important and favourite product of inhabitants of Budjak is mutton (lamb). It is cooked in special way, using the forgotten partially national recipes and special southern seasonings, collected and prepared with one’s own hand.
ADDRESSES: Restaurant «Bessarabka» (53, Kanatnaya Str.), – average bill 250 UAH
Exotic cuisine – it’s a riot of flavors, scents and colors. It is difficult to name any product that would not have been used in such cuisine. This is an exotic journey to the world of spices and flavors. We invite you to enjoy exotic cuisine in the restaurants of Odessa. You will be greeted by remarkably tasty dishes: flavorful shourpa, hare
1. Thai cuisine. Thai cuisine has evolved over the centuries under the influence of Chinese, Indian and European ones. Originally mostly fish, seafood and aquatic plants were used as food. Like in other Asian cuisines, the main ingredient is rice. Unlike European cuisines, where the only main dish is completed by garnish and salad, main dish in Thai cuisine is a large portion of rice, which is served with a few extra dishes, while keeping an eye on the balance of acute and moderately spicy dishes. Usually curry or spicy salad with a sauce of fish and vegetables is served with rice. Basis for the majority of Thai dishes is the spicy mixture “nam phrik” made of garlic, chili peppers and various herbs. All components are ground in a mortar and together with vegetable oil enter the wok, where then other components are fried (meat, fish, vegetables, noodles).
ADDRESSES: Restaurant “Yokohama” (Central avenue, Arcadia), restaurant “Devarana” (9/12, Tenistaya Str.)
- __ $$$ (200 UAH): “Yokohama”
- __ $ (100 UAH): “Devarana”
2. Japanese cuisine. It is distinguished by preference of natural, minimally processed ingredients, the extensive use of seafood, seasonal, typical dishes, specific rules of food presentation, serving and table etiquette. Japanese cuisine, as a rule, is a key attraction for tourists from other countries. Rice is the main ingredient of Japanese cuisine and basic food in Japan. In Japanese the word “tyaxan” (boiled rice), like the Russian “bread”, denotes not only a particular food product, but the food at all. Fish, mollusks, marine animals are the second most important component in Japanese cuisine after rice. As a rule, during their preparation they undergo only a short thermal treatment (roasting, steaming), and in some of the dishes (sashimi) raw seafood is included. Seaweed is also used in Japanese cuisine. Japanese food differs from all the rest of the Asian cuisine. The specific features of Japanese cuisine are the minimum processing of products, usage of only fresh ingredients, small portions and preparation of seasonal dishes. Japanese dishes are healthy, they are eaten either raw or half-baked, and always fresh. It should be noted that Japanese cuisine and Japanese chefs pay more attention to meal presentation. According to the Japanese, the food must deliver not only physical but also spiritual, aesthetic pleasure.
ADDRESSES: Cafes «ITIS FlowersCafe» (SEC “Europe” SEC “Riviera”), restaurant «NipponKan» (5, Rishelevskaya Str.), the restaurant “Kyoto” (56,Troitskaya Str.), restaurant “Columbus” (90, Novoberegovaya Str.), a sushi bar “Rocca” (4, Chernyakhovskogo Str), restaurant “Seven Samurai” (59, Rishelveskaya Str.), restaurant “Sushi Rai” (57, Malaya Aronatuskaya Str.), a sushi bar “Tairai “( 36a, Genuezskaya Str.), restaurant “Tokyo House” (11, Rishelevskaya Str.), restaurant «Gaudi» (1a, Genuezskaya Str)
1.__ $$$ (300 UAH): “Columbus”, “Rocky”, “Tokyo House”;
2.__ $$ (200 UAH): «ITIS Flowers Cafe», «The Seven Samurai,” “Tairai», «Gaudi»;
3. __ $ (150 UAH): «Nippon Kan», «Kyoto”, “Sushi Rai”
3. Arabian Cuisine. Arabian cuisine evolved from the cuisine of the nomadic peoples from the Arabian Peninsula. Then it was influenced by cuisines of the nations conquered by the Arabs: the Byzantines and Spaniards. Recipes of Arabic cuisine in one or another form are reflected in European cuisines too. The desert regions of the Middle East cannot be called generous for different products, so Arabic cuisine uses them not so much. It is rich in mutton and fish. Legumes are very common, less common is rice. Vegetables are rarer than in other cuisines. And of course the sweets, they are especially popular. The recipes of Arabian cuisine are abounding of spices: saffron, cloves, cardamom and nutmeg. If you want to get a taste of the East, to dive into the world of “A Thousand and One Nights”, Arabic cuisine will help you.
ADDRESSES: Restaurant “Feruz” (18-a, Staroportofrankovskaya Str.), restaurant “Byte Almandi” (1, Shevchenko Ave), art-cafe «FirstBus» (12, Gogol Str.),
1.__ $$$ (200 UAH), “Feruz”, “Byte Almandi”
2., __ $$ (150 UAH): «FirstBus»
4. Indian cuisine. Despite the existence of several thousands of castes with their regulations on food, only two religions, Hinduism and Islam, influenced the recipes of Indian cuisine. Most strongly Indian cuisine was affected by Great Mughals. Old Indian recipes like fat rice, biriyani, bread stuffed with almonds, dried fruit and sweet cream are still popular. They brought with them the tandoor – a large standing oven where bread and meat are cooked. Famous tandoori came from northern regions. In Indian cuisine the cow meat as well as all cattle meat, are strictly forbidden by religious laws and ancient customs, which adhere even Muslims. At the same time in Goa region people eat a lot of pork; rice and pork are the basic food of the Goa people in all seasons. Many Indians in the South are vegans. The basis of their food is made of sweet peppers, figs, yellow lentils and boiled rice. The most famous Indian dish is probably the curry. In Indian cuisine curry is made mainly of vegetables and is very sharp. Curry for the Indians is not only seasoning but a group of dishes united by a common feature – a thick consistency and a combination of freshly ground spices that make one dish different from the other.
ADDRESSES: Restaurant “Kamasutra” (19, Bunin Str.), restaurant “London” (95, Uspenskaya Str.)
1. __ $$$ (200 UAH): “Kamasutra”, “London”.
5. Chinese cuisine. Chinese cuisine has a few rules of cooking, for example, all products must be cut into small pieces and it is quite logical because otherwise it would be very difficult to eat them with chopsticks. Before eating the prepared food the Chinese drink a cup or two of green tea. They usually end up the meal with a soup, which is quite incomprehensible to Europeans. Chinese cuisine recipes which are often composed of hard incongruous products, such as fish or pork with caramel under a sugary-sweet sauce, excite the imagination of the Russian people. Nowadays Chinese food in China is difficult to imagine without their national fast food, such as fried Chinese dumplings, which must be tried by every tourist, because all the taste of China life is in them. In assessing the Chinese cuisine it is impossible to get around the recipe of Peking duck, which can be afforded only by aristocrats, and it can be tried only in expensive restaurants. Poor bird is kept in a small cage and fed salty food for a long time. It is not allowed to drink and then is being killed, gutted, scrubbed with powdered sugar. Then it is filled with water in a carcass and baked on fire from the wood of a peach tree.
ADDRESSES: Restaurant “Mirror City” (6a, Chernyakhovskogo Str.), restaurant “And Yuan” (43-a, Ak. Koroleva Str.), restaurant “Nihao” (24, Glushko Str.), restaurant “Beijing” (96, Sadovaya Str.), restaurant “Fat Duck” (23, Sophiebskaya Str.), restaurant «Gaudi» (1a, Genuezskaya Str.).
1.__ $$$ (200 UAH): “Mirror city», «Gaudi»
2.__ $$ (150 UAH): “I Yuan”, “Nihao”
3. __ $ (100 UAH), “Beijing”, “Fat Duck”.
6. Mexican Cuisine. Modern Mexican cuisine has not changed much over time. The basis of the culinary traditions is the Aztec national dishes and some Spanish ones. The generous nature of Mexico opens up endless possibilities for art of cooking: a huge amount of herbs and rare spices can give completely different taste to the same dish. Though famous hot pepper jalapeno is considered a symbol of Mexican cuisine, it is not added to all meals. Mixes of vegetables, for example, are very tender and sweetish. The main cereal in Mexico is corn, but the bread in the usual sense is not baked of it. They bake flat cakes with spices called tortilla. Depending on the filling or the method of folding the tortilla you can get a burrito, enchilada or chimichanga – Mexican cuisine is attractive for this simplicity. Recipes of many dishes consist exclusively of avocado, tomatoes, beans, peppers, corn, and even cactus, so Mexican food is loved by vegetarians. One cannot get bored with this vegetable diet because of the variety of sauces and spicy gravy, which are usually spread on ready-made meals and flat cakes.
ADDRESSES: Restaurant «Esterlita» (1, Ekaterininskaya Str.), restaurant “Cactus” (49, Ilf and Petrov Str.)
1.__ $$$ (250 UAH): «Esterlita»
2. __ $$ (200 UAH): “Cactus”.
7. Greek Cuisine. The basis of Greek cuisine is made of rather limited set of agricultural products. The snack, although it is served, often consists only of olives, bread, Feta cheese and tzatziki – yogurt mixed with a grated cucumber and chives. As an aperitif they drink anisette vodka (uzo), sometimes it is diluted or washed down with water. The greater the feast, the richer is the set of snacks that is called “meze”. In the name you can feel the Turkish influence. Among the main dishes there are some that coincide to the smallest details with the Turkish ones, but have Greek names. Purely Greek national dish is, for example, fish soup (kakaviya) and lemon soup (avgolemono). Favorite drink is coffee which is served in Turkish-style, in small coffee pots. The typical Greek food is simple, colorful and fragrant.
ADDRESSES: Restaurant “Papa Costa” (17, Grecheskaya Str.), restaurant “Ellinikon” (5, Grecheskaya Sq)
__ $$$ (200 UAH), “Papa Costa”;
__ $$ (150 UAH): “Ellinikon.”
8. Georgian cuisine. The cuisine of Georgia is very diverse and refined. It is distinguished by an abundance of all possible kinds of spices, seasonings and sauces. Especially prevalent is tkemali – sour sauce. The favorite dishes are the specialties, roasted on a spit. Widely used is beef, lamb, pork, poultry and fish. In Georgia there is a tradition to serve herbs to the meal at any time of the year: parsley, dill, mint, basil, chives and other herbs. Also to any table radish, whole tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers are served. Viticulture is one of the oldest and most honored classes in Georgia. In Georgia they almost do not drink tea preferring wine and fresh juices.
ADDRESSES: Restaurant «Georgia» (9, Gagarin Ave), restaurant “Batumi” (45, Grecheskaya Str.), restaurant “Gamardzhoba” (61a, Williamsa Str.), restaurant “Mimino” (2, Zhukovskaya Str.), restaurant “Genatsvale” (12, Shevchenko Ave), restaurant “Tbilisi” (8, Arcadia beach), restaurant “Khizhina” (Central Airport, 2-a), restaurant “Chito-Gvrito” (34, Preobrazhenskaya Str.)
1.__ $$$ (300 UAH): «Georgia», «Batumi”, “Khizhina”;
2.__ $$ (200 UAH): “Gamardzhoba”, “Genatsvale”; “Tbilisi”;
3. __ $ (150 UAH): “Mimino”, “Chito-Gvrito.”
9. Azerbaijani cuisine. The originality of Azerbaijan cuisine is that possessing some similarities with other Transcaucasian cuisines – the presence of one and the same type of fireplace (tandoor), cooking utensils and food raw materials – it has created on this basis, a slightly different menu and a whole range of different flavor. So the main part of the national dishes of the Azerbaijan is different with identities, although many dishes, which are borrowed, for example, from the Armenian cuisine (dolma), are included in the daily menu of modern Azerbaijani. Azerbaijani dishes, having the vast majority of Turkic names are often very similar to the names of the dishes of the Turkic-speaking peoples of the Middle East and Central Asia, but essentially, by cooking characteristics and taste they are much closer to Iranian cuisine.
ADDRESSES: Restaurant “Absheron” (20/3, Fontanskaya road Str.), cafe “Shark” (23, Tiraspolskaya Str.), restaurant “Havilah” (74, Novosel’skogo Str.), restaurant “Goretz” (32, Sergei Varlamov Str.), restaurant “Inzhir” (36/1, Ak. Glushko Str.), restaurant “Gamardzhoba” (61a, Williams Str.), restaurant “Vecherny Baku” (4, Ilf and Petrov Str.).
1.__ $$$ (250 UAH): “Absheron”, “Inzhir”
2.__ $$ (200 UAH): “Havilah”, “Highlander”, “Gamardzhoba”, “Vecherny Baku”
3. __ $ (150 UAH) “Shark.”
10. Turkish Cuisine. Strong influence on the Turkish cuisine has had not only Islam, with its constraints (a ban on the consumption of pork and alcohol, fasting in Ramadan, and others.). In different historical periods other nations living in Turkey: Persians, Greeks, Assyrians, Seljuks, Arabs, Kurds, Turks, Armenians, etc. have left their mark on Turkish cuisine, as well as on the whole Turkish culture. Therefore the modern Turkish cuisine can be considered a part of the Mediterranean cuisine – in some ways it is similar both to Greek and Balkan one. Feature of Turkish cuisine is that it is impossible to identify one dominant dish, such as pasta in Italy or sauces in France – the national Turkish cuisine is distinguished by the diversity and originality of the menu. Due to the large abundance of dishes, variations of recipes that reflect regional characteristics and their original taste, Turkish cuisine occupies, according to experts, the third place among all national cuisines in the world, giving in only to French and Chinese. Most Turkish dishes are well-balanced combinations of ingredients. Dolma and sarma (stuffed vegetables ), lentil soup, meat with vegetables, rice or wheat cereal (bulgur), and finally, yogurt – the menu is likely to appeal to everyone. Meat stewed with vegetables in Turkish cuisine is always served with pilau made of rice or wheat.
ADDRESSES: Restaurant “Antalya” (33 Rishelevskaya Str.), restaurant “Turkuaz” (12, Deribasovskaya Str.), restaurant “Byte Almandi” (1, Shevchenko Ave), restaurant «Alaturka» (52, Uspenskaya Str. )
1.__ $$$ (200 UAH): “Antalya”, “Byte Almandi», «Alaturka»
2. __ $$ (150 UAH): “Turkuaz”
11. Uzbek cuisine. National Uzbek cuisine is a separate segment of Uzbek culture. Unlike their nomadic neighbors, the Uzbeks have always been settled people, cultivating farming and livestock. In its fertile valleys for centuries Uzbeks grew for themselves vegetables, fruits and cereals. They raised cattle, which served as a source of meat, plenty of which can be seen in many dishes. Sure, Uzbek cuisine has absorbed the culinary traditions of Turkish, Kazakh, Uighur, Tajik, Tatar and Mongol peoples who inhabited the area and neighboring nations. Among the borrowed dishes there are such as roast, kebab, bogursak, brushwood, dumplings, and so on. However such native Uzbek dishes as pilaf, dimlama, buglama, shourpa, and mastava decorate tables around the world. Many different recipes in Uzbek cuisine are connected with the fact that there not only meat products are widely used, but also juicy vegetables, fruits, herbs, spices, grains – all that grow abundantly in this blessed land.
ADDRESSES: Restaurant “Aiva” (15, Deribasovskaya Str.), restaurant “Andijon” (24, Genuezskaya Str.), restaurant “Byte Almandi” (1, Shevchenko LN), restaurant “Skovorodochka” (101, Uspenskaya Str.), restaurant «MamaCasalla» (1/1, Alexander Matrosov LN)
- __ $$$ (300 UAH): “Aiva», «MamaCasalla»;
- __ $$ (200 UAH): “Byte Almandi”;
- __ $ (150 USD), “Andijon”, “Skovorodochka.”
12. Assyrian cuisine. Assyrian cuisine is one of the oldest on earth. Assyrian food raw materials are steady over the centuries. The earliest development of animal husbandry in the Assyrian lands gradually led to the diversity of cultivated species of livestock and poultry. Assyrians bred cows, sheep, pigs, turkeys, chicken, geese and ducks. Cattle’s breeding was also the source of a variety of dairy products, mostly – cheese and fermented dairy products. Concerning the technology of preparation of the Assyrian dishes – it is difficult and in some cases laborious. Labor-intensive is the process of rolling out the multilayer dough (kyada). Variety of technological methods is reflected in soups: soups with sour milk egg basis (girdu, bushala), and separately prepared soups (shirwa, d-bysrа), plenty of dishes with ground meat to which are added other components in the ground condition (kutli). In Assyrian cuisine there are, of course, dishes from natural meat (kebab), as well as dishes from the whole poultry. Favorite flour product in the diet of the Assyrians is special bread – lavash. Most often a vegetable diet is completed with spices. Black pepper, coriander, mint, tarragon, basil, satra, thyme, dill, parsley and, of course, garlic and onions are favorite of them. Assyrian cuisine offers a variable food in composition. It differs by its complicity, rich, delicate flavor and aroma range.
Restaurant «CasaNova» (4, Deribasovskaya Str.) – the average bill – 250 UAH.